Firearms Training in California
Why Firearms Training Is Important
It’s safe to say that the vast majority of seasoned gun owners already know the incredible importance of firearms training; after all, how useful is your firearm is you don’t know how to properly use it? In fact, in California, you are required to complete an approved firearms training course in order to acquire a permit for certain firearms, such as handguns, or to acquire a CCW permit.
At the Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry, we are huge advocates of gun rights, gun education, and gun safety. Our founding attorney, Virginia L. Landry, is an authority on California gun laws and is familiar with an array of firearms. Read on to learn more about safe gun practices for gun owners, firearms training requirements for CCW permit holders, and more. If you have questions about your rights, we invite you to reach out to our team today.
Call (888) 272-6668 or contact us online for a free consultation.
Safe Gun Practices for Gun Owners
All gun owners should follow certain gun safety rules. This is important not only for your own safety but for the safety of others, as well.
Some common-sense gun safety practices include:
- Never point the muzzle of a gun at another person (unless in a valid self-defense situation)
- Keep firearms unloaded and in a secure location when not in use
- Never allow a child to come into contact with a gun, whether loaded or unloaded
- Always use the proper ammunition
- Don’t rely solely on the safety; always be aware when the safety is on or off
- Be aware of what lies behind or nearby your intended target
- If a gun fails to discharge, keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and dispose of the cartridge carefully
- Ensure that there are no obstructions in the barrel before discharging
- Participate in a firearms safety course to ensure that you are aware of your gun’s characteristics
- Never alter a gun or make modifications, as this can result in your firearm becoming illegal under state law
Firearms Training Requirements for CCW Permits in California
If you wish to obtain a carrying a concealed weapon (CCW) permit in California, you will need to meet a number of requirements. One of these requirements is participation in an approved firearms training course.
Additionally, the course itself must meet certain requirements, including:
- It must be at least 8 hours and no more than 16 hours in length
- It must provide instruction on safe firearm handling and shooting technique, as well as general firearm safety
- It must include instruction on California laws regarding legal use of firearms
- CCW Permit applicants must demonstrate that they are able to properly handle and safely shoot each firearm they wish to secure a permit for via live-shooting drills
If you are applying to renew an existing CCW Permit, you must again enroll in a firearms training course that meets these requirements, with the exception that it only needs to be at least four hours long.
For more information, reach out to the California gun authority at the Law Offices of Virginia L. Landry; call the Gun Queen at (888) 272-6668!
Meet Virginia L. Landry